Empire accepts electronic prior authorization requests for prescription medications online
Empire BlueCross BlueShield (“Empire”) accepts electronic medication prior authorization (ePA) requests for commercial health plans through covermymeds.com. This feature reduces processing time and helps determine coverage quicker. Some prescriptions are even approved in real time so that your patients can fill a prescription without delay. For example, medications such as celecoxib (Celebrex®), ezetimibe (Zetia®), fluocinolone acetonide (Synalar®), Victoza®, and long acting opioids are automatically approved when a member meets step therapy and/or clinical criteria (as applicable).
Electronic ePA offers many benefits:
- More efficient review process
- Ability to identify if a prior authorization is required
- Able to see consolidated view of ePA submissions in real time
- Faster turnaround times
- A renewal program that allows for improved continuity of care for members with maintenance medications
- Prior authorizations are preloaded for the provider before the expiration date.
Providers can submit ePA requests by logging in at covermymeds.com. Creating an account is FREE.
For questions, please contact the provider service number on the member ID card.
December 2018 Empire Provider Newsletter