Lowering health risks with no-cost statins
Statin medications can assist your patients in lowering their cholesterol levels, reducing cardiovascular risk and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) reduction.
When evaluating your patients as candidates for statin medications, implement treatment protocols based on the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association 2018 Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol:
- Cardiovascular risk reduction benefits of statin therapy go beyond cardiovascular risk and LDL reduction.
- Patients with an LDL-C less than 70 should have statin therapy evaluated and individualized based on other cardiovascular risk factors.
- Patients aged less than 75 years and at risk for cardiovascular disease are recommended to have a high-intensity statin. Moderate-intensity statin therapy is recommended if the patient has a contraindication or experienced statin-associated side effects.
Ensuring your patients adhere to their prescribed statin amounts
Several barriers, financial and physical, may prevent your patients from adhering to their prescribed statin use.
Remind your patients of the importance of using their prescribed medications. Communicate to your patients:
- The benefits of the medication.
- The potential for side effects:
- Try a lower dose or a different statin to manage any experienced side effects.
Prescribe low-cost generics to eliminate cost as a barrier and inform patients of statin medications available for $0 for up to a 90-day supply.
List of statin medications available for free with an up to 90-day supply
The following medications are available for free to your patients:
October 2019 Empire Provider News